ITS The Holidays!!
Regardless of what people celebrate during the holiday season, one thing is a staple across them all: food. Whether it’s cookies in the oven or full-course meals being prepared, no holiday is complete without some food.
But although food should enhance the festivities, there’s always the risk of a fire. The holidays can be a hectic time, meaning whoever is cooking can be distracted by guests or other tasks on their plate.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking is the leading cause of home fires. One out of three home fires begins in the kitchen — more than any other place in the home. Unattended cooking is the number one cause of kitchen fires.
Here are some holiday cooking safety tips to help you steer clear of any accidents:
Always keep an eye on what you’re cooking or frying. Never leave the cooking area unattended.
Keep anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, towels — away from your stovetop.
Keep a lid beside the pan when cooking. If a fire starts, slide the lid over the pan and turn off the burner. Never throw water on a grease fire.
Keep a fire extinguisher approved for cooking or grease fires nearby.
Make sure your smoke alarms are working.
In case you weren't aware. The Leetsdale. VFD has a Facebook page to look at fire calls, upcoming events and other news and information associated with the fire department. The Facebook address is Leetsdale fire department.